Monday, February 24, 2020

meet the cast | best of enemies

We asked our remarkable Best of Enemies cast a few questions about themselves and the show – check out their answers!

Celia Aloma
Do you have any personal connections with the content of the play?
Best of Enemies talks about race relations and unfair treatment of African American and low income families in the public school system among other things. Racial discrimination in school isn't a thing of the past, though we have come so far since segregation it's still prevalent in our society. I've had many experiences through schooling where teachers have tried to keep me from achieving above my socio-economic status. In middle school, for example, my teacher refused to give me documents to go to an arts school that was mostly white. She told my mom that's not a place for me and referred me to my local high school in the black community which had one of the lowest grade averages in the Toronto school board district. She eventually gave me the document but many weeks after she had given it to a white student and the application deadline had passed. Going into high school, again, I was told by my music teacher when I expressed my intent to transfer to said school. He told me I wouldn't cut it there, and I will be back within the month and this is just the tip of the iceberg. If the spirit of a child is crushed, then the sky is not the limit when all they can see is the ceiling.
It's not often the conversation of institutional racism is brought to the forefront. I'm not the only one who has faced this and I will not be the last. The resolve is speaking about it and starting a conversation and forcing change.
What excites you about this show?
I feel excited and empowered by Ann’s story, one single act of defiance can change the course of h(er)istory. As a black woman, often times I feel like I have to lower my voice and play into the nice woman complex so as not to be labeled by the stereotype attached to an “Angry Black Women”. So I dim my light and voice. Ann Atwater reminds me where my voice box lives. She reminds me that no matter what the opposition, not to falter but to stand in my truth against all odds.

Rebecca deBoer
Do you have any personal connections with the content of the play? 
Well, I am not married to a KKK leader. However, my character is a mother of three and a passionate advocate of a Family First philosophy, which does hold resonance for me.
One thing I love about this story is that it's such a beautiful illustration of the power of empathy and the importance of getting to know people who are different from ourselves.
“I think that hate is a feeling that can only exist where there is no understanding.” ― Tennessee Williams
What excites you about this show?
I can't wait to dig into playing this grounded, funny, badass character, and to get to work with such an incredible cast!

Anthony Santiago
Why does Best of Enemies matter to you?
Best of Enemies is relevant to me because growing up in the seventies as a first generation black person I had the opportunity unlike my parents, of interacting with other races and other cultures and we had a dialogue. We were able to communicate with one another. Best of Enemies where it's set at a time and place, it shows the importance of that, the importance of being able to speak to one another, even though we have such strong opinions of where we come from and where we belong in this world. Which is beautiful, which is why I am so privileged to be able to do a show like this.
What excites you about this show?
The power of finding common ground through dialogue.

Robert Salvador
What excites you about this show?
I'm thrilled to return to Pacific Theatre, the place I consider theatre home, and honoured to play a small part in paying tribute to a champion of civil rights, Ann Atwater.

No comments: