Tuesday, March 27, 2012

world theatre day | why we love theatre

For World Theatre Day the artists from DOUBT and PT staff reflect on why they love theatre...


I love the somewhat dangerous collaborative aspect of theatre, which when fully committed to can lead to moments of great grace and glory! (Once you've cleaned up the mess.)
-Erla Faye Forsyth, Sister Aloysius

I love getting to meet and understand new characters. I love learning who people are, what makes us different, what makes us the same, and how we react in different situations, and theatre is a great way of doing that. Theatre is the eavesdropping and people-watching that so many of us love to do, without the guilt or shame behind it.
-Alison Chisholm, Office and Artist Manager

I love theater because the immediacy of audience and performer keeps me on my toes--it's live, no do-overs, and anything can happen.
-Leslie Lewis Sword, Mrs. Muller

I love theatre for the magic we create as a team, which touches every audience member in a different, profound way.
-Jethelo E. Cabilete, Stage Manager

I've always felt it was the fragility and specificity in each production that made theatre beautiful, like sandcastles.
-Sydney Cavanagh, Costume Designer

I love the special magic of physical bodies all in the same place at the same time and the fact that it can't be reproduced by any other means. If you weren't there, you missed it, which is the most frustrating and beautiful thing ever.
-Andrea Loewen, Communications Manager

No comments: