Wednesday, June 15, 2016

june 15-18 | something sacred | a moment with the artists

SOMETHING SACRED opens tonight @8pm! We are so excited to see Kim and Stephanie back on the PT stage performing their own original work in Kim's final apprentice project. Congratulations on opening, ladies!

Kim Larson in THE DROWNING GIRLS 

How is this performance different from the first time you performed the show? Have you made any changes?

I've actually made quite a few changes since the last time I did the show. The show is autobiographical, so it's been an interesting process for me to go back into something that now feels like it happened a long time ago and shift things around. In some ways, it was really difficult. But I also had the chance to go back and re-visit the person I was and think about the ways I've changed since then. Originally, the show was centered more around the guy - my relationship and the decision to stay or leave. But with a bit of distance, I realized that what I was wrestling with was actually my faith community and the fear of losing my identity. So the new version has more of that.

What inspired you to write the piece? What excites you about the piece?

 I started writing this show because I had to. I knew that if I was writing about my heart, it was going to touch on faith and God in some way, but the only things I could write about that felt true were the questions I had. So I started there. I don't think the piece has any answers to those questions, but it takes some steps towards figuring things out. Maybe. Hopefully.

-Kim Larson

Stephanie Elgersma in MY BEAUTIFUL MONSTER

How is this performance different from the first time you performed the show? Have you made any changes?

The change most notable to me is that I myself am different. The biggest challenge has been to return to a play that I wrote two years ago. It can be strange and sometimes painful to to now put myself back into the emotional demands of this play and what I thought true at the point in my life when I first wrote it. But I guess to be an actor is to face my fears and jump out of my comfort zone every night, and I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t absolutely love it or think it important. Other than that, just blocking has changed -- the play was originally set in a small chapel (the one upstairs from Pacific Theatre actually) so bringing it now to the Pacific Theatre stage is quite the adjustment!

What inspired you to write the piece? What excites you about the piece?

Why Frankenstein? Well it started as a joke originally, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like an exciting idea. I love the complicated relationship between Frankenstein and his monster, and all the potential metaphors wrapped up in this ugly, deformed, yet ultimately misunderstood creature and how that could potentially mirror Annie’s relationship with her wild sexual desire and her faith. And I knew that having the story of Frankenstein through out my play would provide me with the anchor I needed to guide my own storytelling.

-Stephanie Elgersma

No comments: