Thursday, July 27, 2017

meet the apprentice | jalen saip

We've got three new apprentices coming our way this season! This team of emerging artists have completed their training in theatre and are ready to bridge into the professional world of theatre. While they are with us, they will run our box office and front of house, as well as create and produce their own work and get involved in our mainstage season. Before that, though, we want you to get to know them. First up is Jalen Saip.


About Jalen:

Jalen is an avid whistler. Her other passions include theatre, music, photography, improv comedy, softball and lounging. Jalen is married to a most wonderful gent who just happens to be a celebrated performer and sound designer in Vancouver… he can also whistle.

Although she hails from the sunny shores of Tsawwassen, BC, Jalen has lived in many different places and worked in many different roles. From Hope to Calgary, Estevan to Annecy (France), Jalen has worked in Assisted Living, Human Resources, Camp Programming/Leading, and, most enjoyably, as a Kindergarten TA.

It is with great joy that Jalen is able to turn her attention and efforts toward performance as an acting apprentice this coming year with Pacific Theatre.

What were you doing before the apprenticeship?

I worked for three years as a Kindergarten Teaching Assistant before deciding to go back to school, build my photography business and make a true effort to pursue theatre.


What are your favourite shows that you’ve worked on so far?

This past April I was privileged to be a part of THE WOLVES with Stone’s Throw Productions right here at Pacific Theatre. That was an incredible experience with an amazing production team and I can honestly say that it was the most complex scripts I’ve ever worked on.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for musical theatre and still reminisce about playing Adelaide in GUYS AND DOLLS and Eponine in LES MISERABLES back in high school (over a decade ago… eek).

What is your non-theatrical specialty?

Although theatrical in their own way, my non-theatrical specialties would be music and photography.


What is the number one thing you are excited about doing during your apprenticeship?

I’ve never been “behind-the-scenes” at a theatre. I don’t know if it’s the thing I’m most excited about or most apprehensive about, but I think that learning how to work a box office, run Front of House, hang lights, etc, will be a really great experience. (Although I’m pretty excited to be producing my own shows as well!)

What is your favourite thing about theatre?

I’m very interested in the human experience. Theatre is a way to look at different human experiences that I would potentially never know about or hear about. I love the stories that are told through theatre and that I have the opportunity to tell because of being involved in it. I believe that good stories force people to ask themselves big, and sometimes difficult, questions, and that’s important.

What would your top three categories in Trivial Pursuit be? (invented or real)

- Song lyrics
- Disney movie plot lines
- How to pick a perfect Watermelon…


If you received $1 million dollars that you couldn’t keep for yourself, what would you do with it?

I have a very large, very wonderful, slightly wacky, family. I would take all 19 of us on an adventure somewhere wonderful! Look out, world!

No comments: