Thursday, August 30, 2018

kim's convenience | meet the cast

We have an amazing cast for KIM'S CONVENIENCE! Here's a little more about them and how they connect with the story.


Jessie Liang - JANET: The similarities between my life and this play are endless, which makes this story so personal to me. Although I was born and raised in São Paulo, Brazil, my parent’s family immigrated to my home country over 40 years ago. My grandparents and their children were all business owners with hopes that all my cousins, my sister and I would someday become successful lawyers, doctors, or accountants. Much like Mr. Kim, my father sacrificed his own dreams to provide us with opportunities he never had himself. Lo and behold, my sister pursued music and I became an actress. All this to say that reading Choi’s script was like reading a play about my family, except it’s set in a different country and with a different ethnic background.

Lee Shorten - JUNG: It's a powerful play that explores family and culture, with humor and grace. Seriously, the ending still makes me cry. I'm always interested in telling inclusive stories and I'm excited to be working with our director, Kaitlin Williams.

James Yi - APPA: This show really makes me feel proud of my heritage but what excites me even more is that the theme of family and redemption resonates with people of all color and background.

Maki Yi - UMMA: Best combination - my favorite play at my favorite theatre!

Tré Cotten - VARIOUS: I’m exited to be working on this show because the story is so universal. Whether it be a convenience store, barbershop or coffee shop... we can all relate to it. There is a connection to family that speaks volumes, but it also addresses issues of businesses moving into a community and local businesses having to sacrifice because of that. The story gives a peak into the life of a family trying to keep there family traditions in tact while adjusting to the changing of times and settings. This is s shoe that speaks to the hope of families in a new country. I can relate to that as an African American because my culture is still in search of the roots that were once there before being brought to the United States. This show hits you in so many different areas and levels. Brave, brilliant and inclusive writing!

No comments: