Monday, March 18, 2019

apprentice spotlight | linnea perry

Linnea is an administrative apprentice who has brought her stage management skills to our stage twice so far this season, and has been running our group sales. She's also been the incomparable producer for the whole Stone's Throw Season!

What drew you to the apprenticeship in the first place?

I first heard about it from Eleanor Felton who I was working with on STILL THE KETTLE SINGS [a devised piece that rented PT as a venue]. That was kind of my first introduction to PT as a whole. Then I was waffling back and forth during my final semester of university on what I wanted to do, and Julia Lank [PT’s publicist] had mentioned that Eleanor had loved the apprenticeship. I also knew some other people who had done it- they were very encouraging and said that they got a lot out of it. Coming right out of university and feeling like “I don’t know what I want to do, but I want to work in my industry”- this was a good gateway between those worlds.

Have you tried anything new this year you’d like to keep exploring?

Administration! Getting to finally see the admin side of theatre which isn’t something you have access to in school has been amazing. Getting to see how finances work, what a box office runs like – these are things that are hard to access in a theatre school environment which is focussed on the practical aspects of creating theatre as opposed to the managerial side of things. Getting to know those aspects is one of the big reasons I came here.

The apprenticeship typically culminates in a final, fully produced show. What are you taking on for your final project?

I am directing--in collaboration with my ensemble--a devised version of AGAMEMNON which will be some combination of Baz Luhrmann’s ROMEO AND JULIET meets German arthouse film. Those are two things I’m going in with at this point!

Any words of advice for an incoming apprentice?

Be willing to be independent. It will be much more fun if you are willing to go off and just do something. Be open to just throwing yourself in.

What are you working on after the apprenticeship?

Looking for admin opportunities! Companies in the city, please hire me!

Keep an eye on the Stone's Throw Facebook and Instagram accounts for more updates about AGAMEMNON and the other final apprentice projects! And don't forget, we've extended our deadline to March 31, so there's still time to apply to the apprenticeship for next season.

No comments: