Wednesday, November 06, 2019

nov 8/9 | foolin' around: the bard's best bits | pt apprents



FOOLIN' AROUND! 
A Night of the Bard's Best Bits
Nov 8th @ 8pm
Nov 9th @ 2pm and 8pm

Run Time: 40 mins
Pay What You Think It's Worth After The Show

Featuring: Chantal Gallant, Nicola Shannon and Jade Munsie
Directed by: Julia Siedlanowska

If you're looking for a laugh and a romp with Shakespeare's best bits, our apprentice project is for you. With scenes from A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Comedy of Errors, Twelfth Night, Hamlet, and As You Like It, we explore Shakespeare's fools in love, fools by profession and fools by accident.

This project came about from a desire to work together on a small project as well as an interest in clowning and comedy. We decided to choose Shakespeare’s works as our playground. Each of us brought two “fools” we’d like to play, as well as a theme song for each character. From that initial meeting, Foolin' Around was born.

We hope to see your friendly faces in the audience!

Warmly,
Chantal, Nicola and Jade

Thoughts from the director, Julia Siedlanowska:
“If art is not spiritual, it suffers from our human limitations.” -Richard Wagamese
When the apprentices (as each year three artists become lovingly known here at PT) approached me about directing a few of the Bard’s most famous fool scenes, I thought it was a great opportunity to keep my directing and Shakespeare study chops up. Moreover it was a way for me to give back to a program which gave me so very much. I was an apprentice here for the 2015/16 season. I am struck by these three artists: Chantal, Jade and Nicola. In them I recognize my own journey as an apprentice three years ago, how much I grew and changed throughout that year with my PT family, how much clarity and strength I gained, how much more I became because of it. As I see the work that these artists put into their first apprentice project, I look forward to seeing them a year from now, and observing what they’ve learned and how they’ve grown. Today they present you with a myriad of characters that give us the opportunity to see our own circumstances enacted- and perhaps let them go through laughter. Although these characters may be foolish, their feelings are all too real- and hopefully, if we have lived at all- recognizable. I thank you for being here and being part of the journey.
“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.” -Groucho Marx

No comments: