Sunday, August 27, 2006

Music

CDs with a spiritual flavour

Jim Byrnes, HOUSE OF REFUGE
www.blackhenmusic.com/artists/jim_byrnes/
Oh. My. Gosh.
Subtitled "Songs of Hope, Longing, Sin and Redemption," this brand new release from Vancouver musician/actor Byrnes is a stunning album. Produced by Steve Dawson, absolutely world class. Just breathtaking. Loads of gospel and gospel-related tunes, from traditional numbers backed by The Sojourners (Marcus Mosely, Will Sanders and Ron Small - all are featured soloists with the Universal Gospel Choir, and they're sublime as a trio) to Nick Lowe's extraordinary "The Beast In Me" to a heartbreakingly beautiful rendition of the 20th century's most gorgeous melody, "Stardust," which Byrnes dedicates to his mother. Tons and tons of tasty playing by multi-Juno-winner Dawson, who is a national treasure. (Can you tell I like this record?)
I guarantee this one. It simply couldn't be better. I've played it continuously since my buddy Rudi brought it by my place, so I can testify that it wears well. And you know what's best of all? Byrnes and the Sojourners will be playing the Rogue Folk Club Friday September 29! http://www.roguefolk.bc.ca/concerts/jimbyrnescdlaunch.html

No comments: