Wednesday, August 01, 2018

meet the apprentice | shelby wyminga

The next season apprentice we have to introduce you to is Shelby Wyminga - meet Shelby!


Shelby Wyminga - Actor

Shelby is a graduate of TWU's School of the Arts Media and Culture with a BFA in Theatre. Some recent acting credits include the role of Gloria in Shelby's original play It's A Glorious Wonderful Life (Vancouver Fringe), Ensemble in Still the Kettle Sings (Plan Z), Juliet in Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare Canada), Lucy Steele in Sense and Sensibility (Metro), Feste in Twelfth Night (SAMC) and Bianca in The Taming of the Shrew (Stone's Throw). Recent design credits include The Miracle Worker (costumes, Gallery 7), Enchanted April (set, G7), and Frankenstein 1945 (costumes, Nebula). Shelby is unbelievably excited to dive into her apprenticeship at Pacific Theatre and plans to soak up every single opportunity to learn from the exceptional artists here. She is particularly drawn to Shakespeare, modern spins on classic tales, the supernatural and stories of heroic women, and she can't wait to see what new paths present themselves over the next year!

What did you spend the last year doing?

I've spent the last year going project to project acting, writing and designing both set and costume. When I'm not working on a show, I've been fulfilling my 6 year old self's dreams by working as a princess and superhero for a children's events company called Pacific Fairytales. I've also been working as the company's admin assistant so I spend a lot of time planning parties, styling wigs and fixing ballgowns!

What are you most looking forward to about being an apprentice?

I think I'm mostly looking forward to simply being around other theatre artists, constantly surrounded by creative energy and process. And of course I'm already going manic with ideas for the projects I want to work on. I'm both excited overwhelmed and by the freedom to just go wild and create while connecting with other emerging artists!

What is your favourite theatre experience to date?

I can never pick just one favorite! I think one of my tops would doing William Gibson's The Butterfingers Angel while I was still in Uni. I played a super sassy, punked-out, traumatized version of Mary the Mother of Jesus. She made me face every single one of my biggest fears and to this date it's still one of the most challenging roles I've ever taken on. Other favorite would be touring high schools with Romeo and Juliet last year! Just a wonderful cast and an amazing opportunity to help kids discover a love of Shakespeare!

What is your non-theatrical specialty?

I don't know if this counts but I'm a HUGE Harry Potter nerd. My trivia knowledge is fierce and I'm a proud Slytherin!

If you received 1 million dollars that you could not spend on yourself, what would you do with it?

I think some would go to my parents to help pay off their homes. Most would go to providing clean drinking water to Aboriginal communities. The reserve where I grew up has had high levels of arsenic in the tap water for years and nothing has ever been done to fix the problem. If I could somehow build a new system in even one community that would be something.

No comments: