Tuesday, July 31, 2018

meet the apprentice | linnea perry

It's almost time for our 2018-2019 apprentices to begin! They will begin their training next week, and so in the meantime we want to make sure you get to know a little something about who they are. These theatre artists and administrators are all on the verge of professional careers in theatre, and we are thrilled to help transition them from training to industry. First up, is Linnea Perry!


Linnea Perry - Stage Manager and Administrator

Linnea is an interdisciplinary artist whose passion for the arts began the second she was able to paint. Since then she never stop creating and has worked with several companies including Ballet BC (Program 2: 2017), TooFly Production (Robin Hood: Prince of Tease, Little Miss Glitz), PlanZ Theatre (Still the Kettle Sings) and Rice&Beans Theatre (Starstuff, Small Town Hoser Spic). Recently, Linnea completed her BFA at SFU School for the Contemporary Arts in theatre production and is so excited to being the next chapter in her artistic career.

What did you spend the last year doing?

This last year I have spent it finishing up my degree! Lots of sleepless nights and stress when into earning that piece of paper but now I have it and no one can take it away from me! Other than that I've been working on shows here and there. I did my last show with SFU in April, stage managing the grad dance show which was very emotional. Some of the dancers and I started at the same time so it was odd looking back on the last four years and seeing how far we had all come together. Before that I was working on Little Miss Glitz and really diving into the process of creating a new canadian musical. It was a amazing process and I got the chance to work with some really amazing people, and there is something about doing a big musical that is just so much fun.

What are you most looking forward to about being an apprentice?

I'm looking forward to growing as a artist and learning all the little bits that go into companies like Pacific theatre. I really like working in a office environment, so I'm really looking forward to being able to get more experience with the day to day office work that comes with the apprenticeship. I'm also looking forward to trying to push myself creatively as to what I am capable of doing since I tend to always fall back into stage managing and though the internship I am hoping to also work on design and maybe some script writing. I want to make the most out of every last little thing that will be offered to me!

What is your favourite theatre experience to date?

Opening night of Still the Kettle Sing. Still the Kettle Sing was a devised piece with a cast and crew entirely made of woman. The stories in the show came from the woman in our lives who inspired us and to us it made total sense. But the nature of devised work can lead to it making sense to the people inside the process but not those outside of it. In the lead up to opening there was worry that maybe people wouldn't get what we were trying to say. So it was the most amazing experience when opening night came and to see the reaction of the audience, to hear how touched they were by the work. To date it is still one of the best devised experiences I have been apart of and one of the best shows I think I have ever had the honor of working on.

What is your non-theatrical specialty?

Probably writing, novels and short stories and things like that. I also love scrapingbooking and playing the ukulele!

If you received 1 million dollars that you could not spend on yourself, what would you do with it?

I would give part to my grandma so she could move back to Barbados. I would donate some a charity, preferably one that is finding positive ways to tackle the opioid crisis in our city. I would give some to my parents and then put the rest in a saving fund till I could think of more things to do with it. Also because collecting interest is a good thing.

No comments: