Wednesday, September 17, 2014

meet the apprentice | eleanor felton

The next apprentice we'd like you to meet is Eleanor Felton!  Eleanor will be developing her work as a director this season.


Eleanor graduated with a BA in Theatre from TWU in April where she studied mainly directing and acting. Over the last four years, she assistant stage managed Romeo + Juliet, stage managed Bride on Credit, wrote/acted/danced in Picture This!, directed Building Blocks, and assistant directed Much Ado About Nothing, all at Trinity Western. Additionally, last September, she and some other theatre graduates (including fellow apprentice this year, Brandon) produced The Pavilion, which she directed. She has been a long time admirer of the work at Pacific Theatre and is excited for all she will learn this year.

Name:
Eleanor Marie Felton

What were you doing last year?:
I was finishing my four year stint at TWU, Front of House Managing, produced a show for the first time, assistant directing/choreographing a Shakespeare show, and taking a first year art class which may or may not be useful in my future.


What are your favourite shows you've worked on so far?:
1. The Pavilion. I directed and produced this show last September with fellow apprent Brandon Bate, as well as Amy Dauer, and Cody Friesen. I learned much and was very proud of our work by the end of it - we will definitely be remounting it one day.
2. Much Ado About Nothing. I assistant directed/assistant choreographed for Angela Konrad in this show at TWU. Not only was it a Shakespearean comedy, it was also a musical and set in the late 1930's. Never has Shakespeare been so fun.
3. Oliver Twist. Grade 5. I played The Artful Dodger. This is where theatre started for me.

What's your non-theatrical specialty?:
I have no idea. I dance and I play violin, but I consider these both kind of theatre-y... Oooh! I can wiggle my ears!


What's the number one thing you're excited about doing during your apprenticeship?:
Shadowing any and all directors I possibly can: I want to learn as much as I can from all the professionals that work at this theatre. I'm looking forward to working as an assistant director on The Rainmaker this season with Ron Reed.

Where have you trained in theatre?:
Trinity Western University


What was your favourite part of your training?:
Acting classes (mask work and physical theatre!), my professors (would it be mean to list one?), my classmates (again, would it be mean?), the shows (TECH DAY: my favourite day of rehearsal), and directing class (obviously).

Is there anything coming up in the apprenticeship that will be totally new to you?:
I think I've had a small taste of just about everything that I will encounter this year (as far as I'm aware), so I'm really excited to dig even further in.


What would be your top three categories in Trivial Pursuit (invented or real)?:
Musical theatre, 101-Ways-to-Not-Succeed-in-the-Kitchen, 100-Survival-Techniques-Required-In-Felton-Family-Adventures. (I don't play Trivial Pursuit. Ever. I'm really awful at it.)

No comments: