Tuesday, September 23, 2014

meet the apprentice | kayla heselwood

The final apprentice for your to meet is Kayla Heselwood!


Name:
Kayla Heselwood

What were you doing last year?:
Last year I was working at Arts Umbrella; a non-for-profit arts education centre. I was mainly a teaching assistant for drama, visual arts and creative movement classes. The majority of my time I worked with the Outreach program going into schools and community centres bringing art classes to children and youth. Over the summer, I worked for a children's theatre company in Winnipeg called Manitoba Theatre for Young People. I worked as an instructor and teaching assistant. It was a lot of work, but very rewarding.

What are your favourite shows you’ve worked on so far?:
The most recent show I performed in was the Welcome Aboard show on the Disney Fantasy. Getting to perform on the stage of the Walt Disney Theatre was pretty darn cool! This past year I assisted the very talented Orsy Szabo in directing Alice in Wonderland for an Outreach program at Arts Umbrella. Being a part of the creative process with the teens including the performance for their parents, was a truly moving experience.


What’s your non-theatrical specialty?:
My non-theatrical specialty is working with children and youth. I LOVE working with kids! In fact, I started off in the Education Program at the University of Winnipeg. I soon realized how unfair I was being to myself and to the kids as I was encouraging them to pursue their dreams while putting mine on hold. That is when I set my eyes on Vancouver.

What’s the number one thing you’re excited about doing during your apprenticeship?:
Honestly, everything! I cannot wait to be a part of the creating process and then seeing a project through to the stage.


Where have you trained in theatre?:
I received my BA from the university of Winnipeg in English and Theatre. I received my diploma from Vancouver Film School after graduating from their full time Acting for Film and Television Program.

What was your favourite part of your training?:
Scene study class was one of my favourite parts of training. Being able to play, explore and continually be in the moment was a huge breakthrough for me. I also loved movement and voice class. Oh! And massage Wednesday to help with vocal warm up. What a great way to start off the day!


Is there anything coming up in your apprenticeship that will be a totally new experience to you?:
Yes! Being a part of a staged reading in March. I have no idea what to expect and I think that is what makes me most excited. Also, working in the box office.

What would be your top three categories in Trivial Pursuit (invented or real)?:
Sandwiches, desserts and film.

No comments: