Wednesday, March 01, 2017

sideshow featured performer | kyla ferrier

Kyla was last seen on the PT stage in, GODSPELL and THE GREAT DIVORCE. Kyla recently shot a sci-fi short film in Calgary with some friends (Six Two Six Productions), where she also wrote and sang the song featured in the film. Google, "Kyla Ferrier Home Tree" and have a listen. 






Kyla Ferrier

Where else do you perform?
Any-old-where. I'm not currently with a troupe, I'm a spicy free agent / loner.

Describe improv in three words
Fresh thoughts motion.

What is your favourite improv game?
I love this game called Slide Show. Two players strike various poses (as if in photographs), while another player describes and justifies the assumed positions. I like any game where someone outside the action gives a running commentary.

What are you obsessed with these days?
I'm enjoying having a proper place for everything I own, and putting everything away before I wind down for the night. The feeling of having an uncluttered living room helps me relax. Then, when I wake up in the morning, I get out jump out of bed into a clean slate space, which makes me excited to write to-do lists, and fill the day with activity. Pick up a copy of Woman's World at your local grocer to read more inspirational paragraphs like this.

Who should be an improvisor but isn't?
Everyone! All children are improvisors. They play, they imitate, they make up stories. I feel sad when I hear grown people say things like, "I could never do that" or "I'm not creative" because I don't believe those things to be true. I think it's more accurate to say we are afraid of failing, afraid of being judged, afraid of having our egos wounded. It's not that I think everyone has to be up on stages every-flipping-where if they aren't interested. But I feel strongly that we're all capable of playing in this way, it's fun and useful skill, and I would encourage any apprehensive curious person to give it a try!

Where can people find you online?
I usually just google "Kyla Ferrier" and then feel super embarrassed when I find weird blog posts and videos I posted a decade ago. Digital footprints are the worst. Last year I was stalking myself, and found the Angelfire webpage I made when I was in grade six. It had a collection of pixelated cartoon girls in cool outfits, some song lyrics, and a stats page that included my home address (yikes).


No comments: