Wednesday, September 28, 2016

a good way out | a moment with the playwright

We recently sat down with playwright, Cara Norrish as she discussed her processes in developing A GOOD WAY OUT. Here are some of her thoughts regarding the show.



I was inspired to write this play when someone I loved passed away. I was a child and this was the first person to die where I understood what that truly meant. Maybe this happens to everyone when death inevitably materializes around them but it deeply affected me. I saw this person as funny, caring and compassionate but there was a dark side to them that was kept hidden from me. This play is an exploration of that dark side.

I have always been slightly afraid to write this play, to go there, to that place where these dark thoughts lived. I’m happy I went there because what I found is beautiful and I think it is a story worth telling. The fear came from the idea that this person would become flawed in my mind and that I would see them the way many people see gang members. However, I was able to see them as a complete person through this process. As a dark, complicated individual who was still the funny, caring and compassionate person I remember.

This play is about what pushes us as human beings. How far will we go to protect and provide for the ones we love. It means the world to me to have my first professional production be at Pacific Theatre. It is my home and my family. -Cara Norrish

A GOOD WAY OUT resumes tonight at 8:00 pm. For tickets call our box office at 604.731.5518.

No comments: