Friday, October 21, 2016

suitcase stories | the creative team | maki yi

Our PT family is thrilled to welcome Maki Yi back to our stage in SUITCASE STORIES, opening in one week today! Many of you may remember Maki as a company apprentice back in 2011-2012, and when she appeared in THE SEAFARER in 2013 as well as LOBBY PROJECT: SUITCASE STORIES. Maki is the playwright for SUITCASE STORIES and also the solo actress in the show. We can't wait to see you on stage, Maki!


Where did you receive your BFA?

I received my BFA in Theatre Performance at University of Regina and my MFA in Interdisciplinary Studies at Simon Fraser University.

Suitcase Stories is your story of moving from Korea to Canada - how old were you when you decided to move and can you talk a little about what inspired you to come in the first place?

The decision was made in my mid-late 20s. I longed for a place where I can be myself and find what I love to do while the social/cultural expectation was to find a good husband to serve.

Another major aspect of your story is the discovery of yourself through theatre, and then the difficulty sticking with it (theatre as the “bad boyfriend”). What do you love about theatre? Why stick with it?

Theatre was what I looked for, something I’d love to do. It was really love at first sight. I love that theatre transforms imagination into reality. When I am on stage, the whole world fills with heightened sensations and emotions.

Can you give us a brief timeline of Suitcase Stories - when these events happened in your life, and what the journey of the play itself has been (from the Lobby Project through to full performances)?

These were in my early years in Canada, before I became a permanent resident. When I got my PR, I finally could apply for the artistic apprenticeship at Pacific Theatre, where I started my professional career. PT gave me another opportunity for creating Lobby Project, through which I learned a new way of play development. And now a third opportunity to present the full length play, evolved from 8 short plays in the theatre lobby, is granted. I am forever grateful to God and to PT!

A message from Maki:

I am so grateful to have worked with Colleen and Chengyan in the past, and am thrilled to work with them again. When I had doubts and fears in the creative process, they remained supportive, generous, trustworthy, and hardworking. I really hope the process is more enjoyable and less stressful for them this time around. I love my creative team!

No comments: