Friday, February 25, 2011

'a' train | apprentice notes 1


Grettings Soul Fooders.

Evan Frayne here , your friendly neighborhood apprentice! We have probably spoken on the phone or you've listened to me do the Front of House speech before one of the shows at PT this season. But for everyone else I haven't met, greetings.

I am one of the cast in Jesus Hopped the "A" Train and we are coming to the end of our first week of rehearsals. After the first read, we spent a couple of days doing table work which means we go through the play scene by scene and talk about the characters, ideas, images and actions of the play. Angela Konrad(the director) has been a great facilitator of discussion and is turning out to be one of the most collaborative directors I have worked with.

I'm struck by the depth of the characters in "A" Train. Each one of them has a compelling, justified argument for what they think and do. I find myself agreeing in one moment with Angel, the young man accused of shooting a man, and in the next, completely discounting his arguments as naive.

Another great discovery is the conflict within each of these people. I play Charlie D'Amico, Riker's Island prison guard who befriends convicted killer, Lucius Jenkins. At one point, Charlie has to take a hard look at this "friendship" he has developed. Is it right, is it good, can he live with himself having been changed by his relationship with this man?

Let me know if you have any questions about the play, or our rehearsal process. I'll be dropping in periodically to post so please leave your questions or comments below. I'd love to hear if you've read the play or seen it on stage somewhere.

That's it for this apprentice note, see you next time!

No comments: