Wednesday, November 03, 2010

nov 3 | zaac pick | federico's


Zaac Pick is playing a solo set at the Tall Poppy Cafe series (Federico's Supper Club, 1728 Commercial Drive) Wednesday night in Vancouver, 8:30PM (though I bet it wouldn't hurt to arrive by eight). Sort of an early first stop on a BC / Alberta tour with Joshua Hyslop.
Nov 3: Vancouver, BC
Nov 19: Kelowna, BC
Nov 20: Creston, BC
Nov 21: Cranbrook, BC
Nov 23: Medicine Hat, AB
Nov 24: Calgary, AB
Nov 26: Edmonton, AB
Nov 27: Lacombe, AB

I first heard Zaac at his Fierce Wind cd release concert, August 2009. I went to hear Jeremy Eisenhauer and Sheree Plett, just back from a summer on the road, stayed to hear Zaac, and was he ever fine. Noticed Rachel Pick taking photos of the gig, it was only later I made the connection.

I played Zaac's disc a lot last year, especially the song Foot Of Pride. This past summer I replaced the stereo in my car (can a stereo with only one working speaker technically be called a "stereo"?), took it on a road trip to Alberta to get better acquainted, and the prairie feel of Fierce Wind made it more or less the theme music for the trip (along with Calexico and the Avett Brothers). It was on endless repeat the day I took pictures of the places my family farmed east of Camrose.

Scout Magazine did a profile on Zaac last week, 10 MINUTES WITH LOCAL MUSICIAN AND EX-LEAGUE BOWLER ZAAC PICK. And you can hear some of his music at zaacpick.com, or now and then on CBC.

Show up at Federico's tonight, I bet you won't be disappointed.

No comments: