- The Basics: Born in Sydney, Nova Scotia, MacIvor studies at Dalhousie University and then George Brown College. He now splits his time between Toronto and Novia Scotia.
- He started off with a small touring company called da da kamera, the resident company for Buddies in Bad Times in Toronto.
- One of the top pieces of advice MacIvor gives to aspiring playwrights is "book a venue." By putting a payment down you've set yourself a pretty firm deadline to finish writing your play.
- His early works were generally one-man shows that he would write and perform in, directed and dramaturged by collaborator Daniel Brooks.
- On top of touring Canada, the US, Europe, and the UK, MacIvor has taken his work to Israel and Australia.
- Currently MacIvor is the playwright-in-residence at Tarragon Theatre and is working on two new scripts.
Friday, October 18, 2013
communion | daniel macivor
Daniel MacIvor is arguably one of Canada's most beloved living playwrights. His writing is sharp, deep, and funny all at once, and he writes some dang good plays for younger actors and women. COMMUNION is simply the latest of his plays to be produced here in Vancouver, with many more to follow I'm sure. Here's a few fun facts about Mr. MacIvor.